Sunday, January 4, 2015

Robert Plant - Pre Led Zeppelin


Before being asked to join Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant had been working on music since the age of 15 with other bands and had also tried a short-lived solo career.These recordings are rare and are not talked about or heard very often. I came across these many years ago when I was a big Led Zeppelin collector. I did own most of these at some point and always enjoyed playing the super rare 45's.
The other important thing that happened during this time is Robert Plant and John Bonham played and recorded together in the third line up of the Band Of Joy.

 
Robert Plant with The Brum Beats in 1963


In 1966, Robert was signed to CBS Records. His first single was released under the band name, Listen. The label thought a band, instead of a solo artist, was the way to go for Robert.
It was released in the U.K. and in the U.S.



You Better Run   MP3   WAVE
Everybody's Gonna Say   MP3   WAVE



In 1967, Robert released two singles as a solo artist for CBS.
The second single, "Long Time Coming/I've Got A Secret," is rumored to include John Bonham on drums but I have never found anything to verify that. You will notice they have a lot more of a Soul or R&B feel then Zeppelin ever did.



Our Song   MP3   WAVE
Laughin' Cryin' Laughin'   MP3   WAVE



Long Time Coming   MP3   WAVE
I've Got A Secret   MP3   WAVE



Robert Plant and John Bonham had played together in the band, the Crawling King Snakes. Sadly, we have no music or photos from that band or era. We do, however, have the pre-Zeppelin recordings and photos of The Band Of Joy with Plant and Bonham together. My understanding is there were a few different lineups of The Band of  Joy, including the first without John Bonham.



And then music history was changed forever with the third line-up of the Band Of Joy with the early beginnings of the supergroup Led Zeppelin. Luckily, acetate recordings were made of three recordings of the Band Of Joy from this era, including the band's first original song, "Got To Find My Baby". They are very rare and are a big piece of music history that has been missed in the big picture and I thought I'd pass these along to my fellow readers and music geeks.


For What It's Worth   MP3   WAVE
Got To Find My Baby   MP3   WAVE
Hey Joe   MP3   WAVE










4 comments: